I have no desire what so ever to have children. At least not right now. It's not my fault, it's just how I feel. It just does not interest me.
People tend to feel offended at some level once they find out that I don't plan on having kids. They shouldn't since I am not putting down anyone who wants kids or has kids. I can tell you right now that one of my reasons is not because I saw so and so's kids and they were terribly misbehaved. I am not saying that having kids in your 20's is a bad thing. Everyone is different, with different goals, personalities, experiences, etc.
Here are the reasons why I don't want kids in my 20's:
1) I have always had big plans for travel. I plan on traveling everywhere I can and I believe that doing so as a non-married, child-less person is more responsible and frankly of course financially easier.
2) Your 20's are a time to figure shit out, from who you are, what you believe, see castles in Spain, go to a late movie, go bar hopping, figure out what career you'd like, learn how to climb the corporate ladder and then do it, etc.
3) Taking care of myself is hard enough right now...oh shit I forgot to feed the dog today...
4) I am still learning about myself; who I am and who I want to be.
5) I don't want to choose between Prada and a new car seat. Haha just kidding, I am in my 20's, I can't afford Prada.
6) I would like to complete a graduate degree.
7) I like staying up late and watching the sun rise. In silence...
8) I think it's good to be aware of one's maturity in certain situations. I mean, let's just be honest. I am not mature enough to have kids right now and it s highly unlikely I will be for a quite a few more years.
9) I need time to build a career, become financially stable, own a house and a nice car.
10) Because I don't have to.
11) Child birth is scary.
12) This isn't some feminist thing or some career oriented desire to be CEO and make more money than a man. It probably is.
13) Yes, I am sleep deprived and by choice; just how I like it.
14) I seriously do not feel the desire to grab babies, hold them, play with them, etc. Maybe I don't have a biological clock.
15) Relationships are already tough. Especially when you are 25 and each trying to figure out your own career, how to reach your individual goals while making decisions together.
16) I wouldn't have time for the things I like and want to do. I know my goals would take a backseat.
17) Pregnancy actually is fascinating to me in the sense that it pretty ridiculously awesome we can grow other humans. However, pregnancy also freaks me out.
18) Being sick and gaining weight sound terrible.
19) I do not want to be a slave to food. A.K.A. cravings.
20) I need my daily glass of wine to keep my anxiety at bay.
21) Because I am 23 years old. Next year it will be because I'm 24 years old.
22) I am still a kid myself.
23) I like my coffee right before my glass of wine.
24) I like the freedom to take a new job or to move across the country without having to consider my children, switching their school, packing their stuff and hearing them complain or cry about it.
25) Kids are dirty and while I am not a full on germaphobe, I consider things most people just don't.
26) I already have a hard time getting myself out of bed, ready and out the door on time.
27) Grocery shopping is sacred. I look forward to it every week. I only worry about what I want to buy and what I like to eat. I want Kale chips for $7? Guess what? I buy those $7 kale chips. No screaming suggestions for dino nuggets please!
My goals and plans at this stage in my life have nothing to do with children nor would they accommodate them. I have a lot of really big goals and right now it needs to be about me. I want to to allow myself to be selfish for the next few years. I want to freely be me and make decisions for me. I think it is really important to have a phase to learn about your self, grow and develop.
Do any of these reasons resonate with you? Share your thoughts in the comments below, I want to know what you think.